Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A New Concept: The Social Element

The concept behind the photograph the psychological element, so to speak, has always appeared in some form throughout my work. We process a photograph, or any work of art for that matter, with our brains, making art that inspires the senses and stimulates the though process is what I feel art is essentially about. My first project for this class adds a social element to my continuing theme of abandoned buildings, behind every building is a creator, a generation of people and their thoughts, architectural style and design elements of a personal nature. I have merged texture and other attributes of these pictures to create a final image that reminds the viewer of the human element in these buildings, we built it and we let it get to the state it was in when I captured it with my camera, usually in a state of neglect. These few photos approach the concept in a few different ways, you can decide which method gets my concept across the clearest.

My influence for this work is Lisa Jacoby's stunning black and white photos. One of my favorite photos of hers is the one in which she revels the man inside a portrait of a boy by replacing the eyes with a pair of adult male eyes, it subtly gets her message across. She does many variations of this concept. She also has a series called Through the Looking Glass, where she rips open the picture and in the opened scene is another image. Trees need water, clouds retrieve the water from bodies of water on planet earth, so she fused these elements together to demonstrate their inner relatedness. In another body of her work, she shows that wilderness can be full of chaos and in one of her most popular photos she adds a path in the center of the photo to lead the viewer through the composition and add a certain degree of order. She inspired me to try something different and relate two elements together in one composition.

Her Website: Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment